Located in the north suburban edge of Columbus, Ohio State School for the Blind serves the blind and low vision community from across the State of Ohio. The existing campus, although rich in history, was no longer serving the educational needs of the community. They had not built new facilities or renovated their campus in over 60 years, and needed a new campus design to enhance the success of their students.
Dickinson + Partners (Formerly Winter & Company Special Needs Studio), along with SHP Leading Design of Columbus (WCSNS/SHP), was commissioned to design a new K-12 campus on the existing campus. The “vision” of the new campus was based on an urban principle called “New Urbanism” that attempts to provide all essentials for living in a compact urban setting for the blind community.
Similar to the Ohio School for the Deaf project, major programming elements utilized to create a new unified campus included: consolidated and centralized single administration, relocation of elementary, middle and high school to one location but with separate entrances for different age levels, creation of new campus commons and kitchen to reinforce the unified campus, internal building circulation for blind student safety and control, creation of the family/customer center that provides independent living programs, and expansion of new vocational spaces to meet the curriculum goals for those programs.
Dickinson + Partners
405 Tarrytown Rd., Suite 1389, White Plains, NY 10607 USA •firstname.lastname@example.org•