Early Childhood Center and Campus-wide Planning Services
Communication, Visual and Lighting Systems Design for the Deaf
The new 21,530 square foot Early Childhood Center at the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf houses 14 instructional classrooms, educational support rooms, parent’s room, administration offices, nurses’ station, teachers’ aides room, and a multipurpose room. In addition, this new building also houses Early Intervention, Early Childhood and Hearing Children programs.
All functions are organized along straightforward corridor arrangements. Centralized offices and circulation allow excellent supervision as well as a primary information source. Daylighting is used extensively throughout the facility and is controlled by a combination “Push in and Pull out” architectural concept.
The objectives in designing this new facility were to create a functional, deaf-friendly and economical facility to encourage activity and interaction, and to promote excitement about learning. John Dickinson of Dickinson + Partners (formerly Winter & Company Special Needs Studio) worked with Kelly-Maiello Architects of Philadelphia, PA on this project.
Dickinson + Partners
405 Tarrytown Rd., Suite 1389, White Plains, NY 10607 USA •firstname.lastname@example.org•